How to Save Money on Heating Bills This Winter
As the holiday season approaches, many individuals are looking for ways to save money, including on energy bills. Whether it’s to offset the cost of holiday shopping or simply to reduce energy consumption, there are several ways to reduce the heating system’s operating costs. Here are recommendations from experts for ways to save money on energy bills while not sacrificing heating and comfort.
Upgrade to a Programmable or Smart Thermostat
One of the easiest ways to save money on energy bills is to upgrade to a programmable or smart thermostat. These thermostats allow for the scheduling of temperature settings in advance, which can lead to savings by reducing the amount of time the system is heating an empty house.
Programmable thermostats allow for the setting of different temperatures at different times of the day. Smart thermostats take this a step further with many advanced features that can learn the schedule and preferences of the user and adjust the temperature accordingly. Some energy-saving features of smart thermostats that can reduce energy costs include:
- Geofencing: Smart thermostats can use location-based technology from smartphones to adjust the temperature when the user is not home and automatically heat the home just before they return.
- Smart Scheduling: Smart thermostats can learn the schedule and preferences of the user and adjust the temperature accordingly, so users don’t have to sacrifice comfort for lower energy bills.
- Energy Usage Reports: Many smart thermostats provide energy usage reports, which can help users identify more areas for energy savings.
Replace Air Filters
Another simple way to save money on energy bills is to change the air filter on time. A dirty air filter can cause the HVAC system to work harder, which can lead to increased energy consumption and operating costs. Changing the air filter on time can lead to the system working more efficiently, saving on energy bills.
It’s recommended to check filters every month and replace them when they look dirty. They usually need to be replaced every three months at a minimum to keep the heating system working efficiently and to keep energy costs low. Not replacing them when needed can also lead to problems for the system that could require repair or replacement, which are more costs that can be avoided with air filter replacement.
Routine HVAC maintenance is also essential for ensuring the system runs efficiently. Regular maintenance can help identify and fix issues before they become more expensive problems, leading to energy savings and reduced repair costs. Annual heating maintenance is recommended in the fall so the heater works most efficiently during cold weather when it is used most. Benefits of regular heater maintenance include:
- Improved Efficiency: Regular maintenance can help ensure the system runs at its best, leading to significant energy bill savings.
- Extended System Life: Regular maintenance can help extend the heating system’s life, which can save money in the long run by preventing having to pay for replacement sooner than needed.
- Fewer Repairs: Regular maintenance can help identify and fix any minor issues before they become major problems and reduce the risk of future issues, saving money on repair costs.
Implementing these three strategies can help individuals keep their heating systems in good condition and save money on energy bills during the holidays and beyond.
About RiverView Mechanical
RiverView Mechanical is a locally owned plumbing, air conditioning, and heating company serving Hallam and the surrounding areas. They offer straightforward pricing, the latest technology, and a satisfaction guarantee. Call them today for smart thermostat installation, AC or furnace filter replacement, or heating maintenance and repair in Hallam, PA.